Here at Nail Hoot (a one woman operation), I've been spending all my spare time for the past couple months designing and sewing face masks for donation. I am selling some of these handmade premium face masks to help offset the large costs of donating masks. Nail Hoot will make a donation of two face masks to people and organizations in need for each purchase of this mask (click this link for our latest donation numbers update).
This face mask is my own design - it is not a mass pattern. It is a mask I have perfected over the past several weeks and several iterations. These are premium masks with many features:
- Tapered fit allows the mask to sit higher on the nose while staying under the eyes (as opposed to straight across)
- Long surgical ties allows for a more comfortable and personalized extended wear fit, saving your ears the pain of elastic. Note: Ties become more pliable after the first time your wash and dry your mask.
- Wire pieces are sewn into the bridge of each mask to ensure a tight and comfortable fit around your nose. These wires are coated for comfort, and will not rust in the wash.
- Filter pockets are sewn into the back of each mask. Add any type of filter you desire to the mask, or leave it empty.
- Three layers of material (including the empty filter pocket) adheres to CDC and WHO cloth mask guidelines.
- Straps are added in the same direction as an actual surgeon's mask (from top and bottom), meaning less side gaps and a more comfortable fit than straps that are sewn from the side.
- Each side of this mask is lined in bias tape, giving a closer fit and more comfortable wear
- Tack stitching keeps the wire from traveling outside the nose bridge area
- Each edge of the mask (hidden under the bias tape ties) is serged with 4 threads. This makes the mask more durable and less prone to raveling.
- Preshrunk Fabric
- Machine Washable, Heat Dry
Details for this Mask:
- Fabric Material: 100% Cotton
- Dimensions: ~4.25" x 7.25"
- Fabric Design: Owl Buddies
- Tie Color: Pink
- Tie Length Top: ~42"
- Tie Length Bottom: ~32"
- Note: This fabric has a varying pattern, and each mask will differ slightly from the others. Please see the picture of multiple masks for an idea of what variations might be received.
- Wash After Each Use
- Machine Wash (remove optional filter first)
- Tumble Dry
- WARNING: Do NOT Microwave. Washing with soap and water is sufficient to kill the virus. Microwaving fabric is a fire hazard, and these masks have metal in the nose bridges.
Love the mask, but not the fabric? More patterns are coming soon, and on a regular basis. Check back often for new designs!
Please be aware that I am by no means a master seamstress. I've been learning as I go. You absolutely WILL find small imperfections in these masks. I do not sell masks with large imperfections. Some of the imperfections you might see include:
- Slight double stitching to reinforce an area
- Missed thread ends that require a quick snip
- Slight unevenness of an edge that is not noticeable when worn
- Stitching over top of mask (nose bridge) not as uniform as other side of mask due to challenges of sewing in the nose wire
These masks are NOT medical grade. They are not designed nor are they rated to prevent the spread of COVID-19 or other communicable diseases. The CDC currently recommends cloth face masks be worn in combination with social distancing.
Do You Have an Organization in Need of Mask Donation?
I work with a group called Stitched Together that pairs mask donation requests with individuals to donate. Contact the admins at this page to get your organization on the list!
- Polish Speak
Nail Polish Ingredients
All polishes are made using a 5-free base. They have:
No Formaldehyde Resin
All Polishes DO Contain:
Nitrocellulose, Ethyl Acetate, Butyl Acetate, Isopropyl Alcohol, Ethyl Alcohol, Triphenyl Phosphate
Additionally, Polishes MAY Contain:
Heptane, N Butyl Acetate, Acrylates Copolymer, Ethanol, Propylene Glycol Methyl Ether, FD&C Lakes, D&C Lakes, Tin Oxide, Iron Oxides, Titanium Dioxide, Ultramarines, Micas, Synthetic Flourphogopite, Magnesium Myristate, Magnesium Fluoride Coated Aluminum Mixture (Spectraflair - for holographic polishes), Cosmetic Glitters
If you have a question regarding if a particular polish color has a "may contain" ingredient, please contact us personally and we will let you know. Please know that we do NOT use Arminex base for our polish.
Holo ... what? It can be confusing to figure out all the different terms used to describe polish, and some people might define terms differently than you are used to. Here is how we define the terms we use to describe our polishes.
We define chunky glitter as anything that is bigger than micro-sized. These glitters would be easily seen when a polish is applied.
The word crelly is a mixture between cream and jelly. The consistency of a crelly tends to be on the thinner side, but not as thin as a jelly. Many times these crellies contain varying sized glitter. At Nail Hoot, when we use the term crelly, we are always referring to polishes with chunky glitters.
Duochrome polishes appear to shift between two colors when viewed at various angles and lighting.
Flakies are particles that can range from micro to large sized. These particles can be seen in the polish when it is worn. A flakie can compliment a polish, or stand out in contrast. Some flakies (such as UCC) shift colors.
Flash is like a glance of another color within the polish when viewed in various lighting or angles. Flash can be heavy (where the shift would be seen at almost all times), light (every once in a while it will catch your eye), or in between.
Holographic (Scattered Holo, Linear Holo)
Holographic polishes show special color changes when viewed in the direct sunlight.
Linear holographic polishes have color changes that resemble a flame on the nail. This is the most pronounced type of holographic polish.
Scattered holographic polishes have color changes that are scattered throughout the nail. It is typically more of a subtle holographic and does not exhibit a flame.
Jelly polishes tend to be very thin. They're designed to be at least semi-transparent. Sometimes this is because there is glitter one would be unable to see otherwise. Another popular use of jelly polishes is to do nail art in between coats, to give the art a floating look.
Microflakies are flakies with a very small size. They are typically more pronounced than shimmer.
Microglitters are very small glitters that can serve many purposes. Holographic microglitters would give a scattered holographic look. Colored microglitters would give dimension to a polish. Polishes with glitter should always be topped with a layer of topcoat to smooth out the glitters and make the polish shine.
Multichrome polishes appear to shift between three or more colors (can include hues within the same color) when viewed at various angles and lighting.
Shimmers are like a special added twinkle in the polish. Shimmer can compliment a polish, or stand out in contrast. Shimmer can be heavy, light, or in between.
UCC stands for Ultra Chrome Chameleon. This special flakie is metallic and has color changing properties.
All Nail Hoot polishes are 5-Free.
All Nail Hoot polishes are handcrafted with care.
All Nail Hoot polishes are cruelty free.